Monday, February 15, 2010

"Excitement" aka online shopping

A few years ago, before Mr. PrettyThings was my husband, we were driving along in the car and I was going on about how much I get excited about shopping. I think I was talking about purchases that I had just made.. or wanted to make. Okay, maybe I was talking about both. That is the most likely scenario.

To be honest, it's a bit of a blur. What I DO recall very clearly is that Mr. PrettyThings told me I needed shopping therapy.

Now, ladies, isn't that just your dream to have your man tell you that you need to go quench your thirst for shopping? I was ELATED. Immediately I thought,"Oooh, I wonder if that means he is treating me to a shopping spree - How much money will he let me spend? Gaaaahhhhhhhhexcited!!!!"

So I asked, trying to mask my excitement, if he meant therapy as shopping.

Then Mr. PT brought me back down to earth (or lower) when he said,"No, I mean you need therapy. For a shopping addiction."

Oh. Letdown City.

Well, being married has been good for me, financially-speaking. I have been known to have a small (BIG) impulse-buying problem that involves anything pretty, plus a credit card. Husband has cracked down on my spending in a big way. Like, the way in where I don't want to spend money and feel the horrible feeling of letting him down.

But this week, people, I have an ALLOWANCE!!! Weeeeeeeeee!

Lest you think that I wheeled myself straight to the mall, well I will tell you that is not so. Being 5'10" makes it a bit hard to fit into regular sizes of clothing, so I have to shop in talls, which generally are found on the websites only (BOOOOOO, stores!!!).

In true Me-style, I have spent almost every penny at J.Crew.com. Worth it? I think so. I thought this shirt would look cute with... well, just about everything. I visualized my grey wool skinny pants or a grey wool pencil skirt:

It's hard to tell from this picture, but it is actually a ruffly tuxedo shirt. I wish I could have gotten every color, but when paired with this:

and this:

well, my allowance was just about tapped out. Rats!

*the three previous photos are from J. Crew's website.

I am super-excited about the blazer. I am a firm believer in everything that comes out of Stacy and Clinton's mouth on What Not To Wear, and blazers are great wardrobe staple according to the WNTW Gospel. I am also thrilled that it won't be as apparent when the jacket is covered with hair from these two:


I know. So cute. These two shed like crazy, so that black shirt will be grey the moment I walk in the door of my house.

I'm trying to get a little more creative with accessories, but stay somewhat traditional, so I thought the bejeweled/beribboned necklace was a good compromise. I am a little wary of faux-pearls and anything involving pave (I can't figure out how to do the accent on the "e") rhinestones, but I guess I'll have to go for a few fake pieces before I beef up my Real Deal collection. Anyhow, this style is likely to fall out of favor before the necklace falls apart.

I hope.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bethy, you are so cute! ...accent on the "e". :P And I <3 your doggies!!

    ReplyDelete